Tuesday, July 18, 2006

BEING RECOGNIZED AFTER 35 YEARS

Have you ever run into someone you last saw in junior high or high school and have them recognize you? This happened to me twice. My theory is because I was the only person in the school with a disability I was different and stood out. I am my brand that is why I can help people to find success for themselves.

Being the only person in the school system with a disability I was different and a convenient target because I was different. At 14 I had surgery which improved the way I walked but not completely. My hand was very tight, surgery improved this, but did not give me the flexabilty to allow me to use it except with limits. I have no feeling on my right side, so I have no real control over these limbs. I also do not have peripheral vision or depth perception in my right eye. Due to the disability I learn differently. At that time teachers and students did not understand this about me.

The surgery was a turning point for me. That is when I started to question "why me?" and also started to turn inward to find my strength to cope with what was happening to me. This helped me understand what my purpose in life was in life and what direction I needed to take.

This was also a time when I learned how to deal with how my peers were treating me and began to look at life differently. I then began to understand that my purpose in life to help other people with disabilities, or anyone for that purpose, to have a more positive attitude about themselves.

For anyone, if you look back at you childhood and the experiences you have, those experiences determine who you are as an adult. Since I was different, and in their teasing would wordplay using my name--they all remember my name. And since as a speaker, my personal stories come from my personal experiences I am my brand. In any business you want to brand yourself or your company so when someone needs your services they know where to turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home